Tuesday, May 22, 2012
Trish's Read A Long of The Stand by Stephen King
I'm so in!! The lovely, amazing, beautiful Trish is hosting a readalong of The Stand by Stephen King and of course I have to join in! Why? I'll answer the questions to her meme to tell you why!
1. What makes you want to read The Stand? First and foremost, I want to read this book because it's my bestest friend Debi's FAVORITE BOOK!!!! And she's only been trying to get me to read it for five years now. Secondly, I actually started this book about two years ago, got 350 pages in and was loving it and for some reason never went back to it :/ So I'm super excited to actually read it this time!!
2. Describe your preconceived notions of The Stand? Well I'm a bit biased because I've read some of it but what I've read is AWESOME. I actually really like Stephen King and have loved pretty much every one of his books I've read. A lot of people call him a "guilty pleasure" author, but I just think he writes a damn good and entertaining novel!
3. What was the last scary(ish) book you read or movie you saw? Wow! Nothing this year! The last one was actually in October of last year and it was definitely nightmare inducing, but one of the best books I've read at the same time. Shadow Man by Cody McFadyen. I really need to catch up with that series. Horrifying in a "it could really happen and it's really fucking sick that it ever does happen" sort of way. Incidentally I also read this because of Debi :p
4. Which version of the book will you be reading from? I'll be reading the complete and uncut version on my Nook!
5. What are your previous experiences with Stephen King? As I said earlier, I really haven't read a book by him that I didn't like...except for Eye of the Dragon...not so good. My FIRST experience with him was one of my first novels actually. I read Misery in the sixth grade. I think I was 11 or 12 and believe it or not I got it from the Scholastic book order through school!! In a Catholic school nonetheless!! I was in love with that book. More recently I've read Lisey's Story and Cell and have loved them both. I particularly loved Lisey's Story...one of my favorite books I've read actually since I've been blogging. HAHA!! Ok...I just went back and read my Lisey's Story "review". It's just embarassing and not even a review. It's the first book I ever reviewed on this blog and I obviously did not consider myself a book blogger then...it was in 2007...I also found that I was talking about SparkPeople on that post!! I didn't even remember that site existed back then...I don't remember even hearing about it until recently from Amanda...funny how looking back on the past can be so jarring sometimes. One other fun piece of knowledge...when I was reading my review of Cell I saw that it was noted in my paperback of Cell that Stephen King didn't own a Cell phone at the time...I'd be curious to know if that's still true!
6. Anything else you'd like to add? Bonus points for being extra random. DAMN..I should've read this question before writing my response to the previous question....all those bonus points I missed out on....
Join in the fun!! It officially starts June 1st and goes for 9 weeks but I think I'll start tonight actually ;)