Reading has sucked this month...well the quality hasn't but the quantity has. I think I'm on schedule to have five books done for January but that's not completely horrible. I plan on having many more read in February as it will be a month of graphic novels!!!! So excited about that :D
Sunday was nice. Got to wake up NOT to an alarm for the first time in a week, started the day with coffee, took Matt to his first mardi gras parade where he caught his first bead (singular), went to eat Mediterranean food at Mona's uptown (one of my favorite little restaurants), shopped at target, and then finished season one of American Horror Story (which was AMAZING). And also did important stuff like made a new batch of laundry detergent and ironed clothes.
I have a shit ton of books on their way to me right now and I should probably wait to do a bad bloggers post until they arrive, but I figured I'd clear the air ahead of time by posting the 12 books that have come since the last bad bloggers post first. Hopefully in between this post and next bad bloggers post there will be LOTS of book reviews!! Anyway, here are some books with blame attached.
1. The Essential Dykes to Watch Out For by Alison Bechdel - I bought a LOT of graphic novels recently in preparation for February >> Debi's to blame for quite a few of them, this one included! Can't wait to finally read this one!!! Point to Debs! (Bought it)
2. Buddha Vol. 1 by Osamu Tezuka - I've been curious about this graphic novel series telling the story of the buddha for a long time now, so I figured this was the perfect excuse to start it!! (Bought it)
3. Level 2 by Lenore Appelhans - Yep, totally making Lenore take the blame for her own book here :p I've been waiting for this one for SO LONG it feels like and it was awesome to see it on the shelves finally :) I started it and it's great so far! It's my work book though so sadly, I haven't gotten much of a chance to get far into it. Point to Lenore! (Bought it)
4. American Virgin vol. 1 by Steven T. Seagle - All it took was Kelly posting pictures of this graphic novel series on instagram to intrigue me and I scooped it up to check it out :p Looking forward to it! Sounds really interesting! Point to Kells. (Bought it)
5. Marbles by Ellen Forney - This is a graphic memoir that I've had my eye on for awhile now and I've decided to add it to the queue...I love anything that deals with true stories of life with mental illness and if you put it into graphic novel form, even better. (Bought it)
6. Locke and Key vol. 1 by Joe Hill - Another point for Debs here. She read this series and loved it and I'm fully expecting to as well! I have a friend at work who's really loved it too! (Bought it)
8. The Dreaming vol. 2 by Queenie Chan - I have been waiting FOREVER to get my hands on vol. 2 and 3 of this book and finally I have vol. 2!! It's never available at B&N and it's not available on Amazon either...but luckily my turn came up on Paperback Swap for it!! Yay :D (Paperback Swap)
9. Wandering Son vol. 1 by Shimura Takako - I am SO excited about this one :D Debi told me about it and I believe she heard about it from Ana and it just sounds SO good!!! Had to get it. Can't wait to read it. Point to Debs. (Bought it)
10. Calling Dr. Laura by Nicole Georges - I picked this one up today at Barnes and Noble! It's another graphic memoir and I've heard good stuff about it. Looks really good :) (Bought it)
11. Beyond the Bluegrass by Golda L. Harvey - It's rare that I request review copies of books anymore these days but I made an exception when I got an email about this one. It sounds like quite the powerful book. It's the author telling her own story of being kidnapped and held in captivity for years and finally making her escape and reclaiming her life. Really can't wait to read this story that I'm sure is quite the cathartic read. (Review copy)
12. The City of Ladies by Christine De Pizan - This book sounds kind of amazing. It's a feminist piece of nonfiction that's a part of Penguin's Great Ideas series that I'm trying to collect and I got it from paperback swap. It's one of the books I wanted most from that series and I was so excited when I saw that I got it! (Paperback Swap)